Friday, April 19, 2013

Welcome to New York

As I alluded to several times in earlier posts, I moved to New York City around the middle of October. The following is a post summing up what I've been up to since I moved here here.

...

My first weekend here Jenny was out of town, so I was trying to figure out what to do with myself. I was staying in our company apartment at the end of Manhattan for the week (not a bad view),



and on my way home from work on Friday I saw a notice that the Lincoln Tunnel was going to be closed that Sunday for a bike ride. Thirty-six hours later I embarked on my first 100-mile bike ride: Bike MS New York, a fundraiser for Multiple Sclerosis. The route was awesome: through the Holland Tunnel,


north through Hoboken, the Palisades, and eventually out to Stony Point. And then back. Whew- I was sure was glad when I saw this:


Twenty minutes later I was at the finish line. My last bike ride till April. Winter!

....

At the beginning of November (somewhat delayed by Hurricane Sandy), Jenny and I moved to our one-bedroom apartment in lovely Boerum Hill in Brooklyn. The neighborhood is sandwiched in between Cobble Hill, Downtown Brooklyn, and Park Slope, a roughly two-by-four block neighborhood bounded by the Barclay's Center, Court Street, Atlantic Avenue, and Flatbush Avenue. Here's our quaint street:


Here's the obligatory moving shots, starting with our empty apartment:


The chaos mid-move-in:


Et voila! We've added a few other decorations since then as well.


All in all, a pretty nice place and in an unbeatable location (near 12 subway lines!). I'm sitting on that sofa as I write this now.

...

Here's a few other random shots of my time here in the fall. Looking south and west from Williamsburg toward lower Manhattan on a cold winter night:


The famous Pepsi Sign in Gantry Park in Long Island City:


And Jerry (yes that Jerry) serving Jenny some Phish Food.



...

On a final note, after spending Christmas in Tennessee, I spent one night back in New York before heading west (young man)! I flew to San Francisco, where I checked out my brother's new place in Emeryville. The next morning we headed south through Big Sur and spent the night with my friend Teddy in Santa Barbara. Did I mention that I miss California?


The next day we got to Pasadena, where we stayed with another generous host, my friend Jeff's uncle's house. My first impressions of LA were pretty good...


And of course, there was the reason we were there in the first place, The Granddaddy of Them All- The Rose Bowl (not to mention a chance to catch up with family and friends- special shout out to all our generous hosts!!!). 


Stanford 20, Wisconsin 14. Not a shabby Fall (or start of 2013)...

No comments:

Post a Comment