Sunday, April 14, 2013

A Farewell to California



Alas- in the middle of October I found myself leaving California for New York City, and while I suspect I will return before long, there's no definitive return date. And since there are a few things that slipped through the cracks on other blog posts, I wanted to post them here.

...

At the end of July I got the chance to drive up to Tahoe with my old roommate, Jared, and stay at "The Hill"- a piece of property near Lake Tahoe that has been in his family (and extended family) for more generations then I can keep track of. The Hill consists of several rustic cabins, a bocce ball court, a pool, and is a place where generations of Jared's family gather for the summer. I don't have any photos of The Hill itself (doh!), but Jared and I got to do a lovely hike nearby when we were up for the weekend. Quintessential Northern Sierras:


What a treat- a weekend in the mountains with friends and (his) family, sure beats a foggy weekend in San Francisco.

...

In August, I got the chance to drive the most expensive machine that I'll drive for a while: this $11,000,000.00 beauty.


This is the yacht that competed for the America's Cup a couple years ago (2007 I think). For those of you who don't know, the America's Cup is a quirky yacht race held occasionally, around the world. I say occasionally because the winner of the previous Cup picks the location of the next Cup, and then the other teams have to agree to the new set of rules- which didn't happen after 2007 until last year. The next Cup is in San Francisco (home of the last winner: Oracle) this year. Luckily for us, this year the competition allows teams to use (much faster) catamarans, making this boat obsolete, and giving us the chance to sail around the San Francisco Bay! The boat itself is pretty much entirely made of carbon fiber (hence the price tag)- carbon fiber mast, carbon fiber hull, carbon fiber sails, and even a carbon fiber steering wheel (light as a feather!). My dad and I went for a 90 minute cruise, under the Golden Gate Bridge and back to Fisherman's Wharf. Here's my dad hoisting the sail (up 11 stories!):


And I've gotta admit- there's something pretty iconic about this:



...

I couldn't leave this out either: Stanford 21, #2 USC 14. 


Hail! Stanford, Hail!



...



Over the course of the summer, I had a biking goal: to ride the Bay Trail around the entire circumference of San Francisco Bay. The Bay Trail will eventually be a 500-mile plus multi-use path around the edge of the Bay. Unfortunately, it won't be done until 2030, so I had to wing it and ended up with a 270 mile loop that in about eight pieces. 

            Create Maps or search from 80 million at MapMyRide
       

I'm eventually planning on turning this into a much longer essay-like post, but for now I'll just say, it was a pretty cool way to see the Bay- I can still smell the fennel. Special thanks to my riding buddy who joined me on the longest piece of the Bay Trail- an 87 mile jaunt through Napa.


...

And finally, a special thanks to the people who made San Francisco home- our weekly pizza/taco/mezes nights were perhaps the best part of San Francisco. 


So while I may be here for now...


... Don't worry. I'll be back.


No comments:

Post a Comment