Sunday, February 12, 2012

Maine

A mere four days after leaving Seattle I again left New York, this time headed for Acadia National Park via Boston and Portland. Jenny and her parents had flown to Maine to attend the Maine Medical Association's annual conference, an association that Jenny's mother's sister (Jo) was the outgoing president of. I bussed from New York to Portland where I picked up the car Jenny's aunt and uncle graciously left for me to drive to Bar Harbor. To my pleasant surprise they left me their BMW convertible. A pleasant (and breezy) three hours later I was in Bar Harbor.

The next morning Jenny and I ducked out of the conference early and hiked the Precipice Trail in Acadia National Park, a cliff-hugging trail that haunted the dreams of my 8th-Grade self after my father lured me up. Everything seemed much less scary this time for some reason...


After relaxing with some Stanford football that afternoon (Go Card!), we all got dressed up for the conference banquet. From left to right, Jenny's: Aunt Kap, Uncle Dave, Uncle Sam, Aunt Jo, Father Paul, Mother Jean, and of course, Jenny.


And Jenny and I!


The next morning was the 31st annual Edmund Hardy Road Race, a 3 mile(ish) run through Bar Harbor starting at 7AM. After sizing up the competition, I realized that this was perhaps my best shot to ever win a running race, and consequently I sprinted off from the start line as fast as I could. In retrospect, its much better to stay in second place and then take the lead right at the end instead of running in first the whole race looking over your shoulder. Fortunately I finished in first and set the historical record for the the race! I've decided I should probably never run again...

That afternoon we all headed out Jordan Pond House for some delicious Popovers (airy buttery rolls) smothered in jam to make up all the calories we burned off during our run. We then did a scenic loop around the Jordan Pond House which had some great ocean views.




We finished of our evening with a delicious dinner at the Cuban-inspired Havana in Bar Harbor. The next morning I was up at 4:45 to catch a flight from Bar Harbor to Boston, where I worked a day at our Boston office before making my back to New York that night.

Maine turned out pretty well- I won my first (and presumably last) race, got a little hiking in, and most importantly got to meet the rest of Jenny's family, an engaging, adventurous, and sincere gang for sure. Special thanks to Jo and Sam for letting me borrow their car and crash their big weekend, and thanks to all the Linders for sharing a good time. What a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment