Tuesday, August 17, 2010

S#@& that's hot!

I thought I had gotten all my bad luck out of the way earlier in the summer, with a bike wreck, a busted window, and locking ourselves out of the car. It seems like that wasn't quite everything, though I guess it was Friday the 13th this past weekend.

Things started out Friday- we had the day off since we were going out to begin our night work, so I decided to go on a bike ride early in the afternoon. After an hour and a half or so, I was riding back toward town and I blew a tire within a half mile of where Jenny got her flat tire. After 45 minutes on the shoulder Tad came to the rescue, and I dropped my bike off at the bike shop for a $35 repair- woo. My tires don't match anymore; alas.



Friday night was the moment we've all been waiting for: Night-tracking. Notice Jenny sporting our trendy equipment above: headlamp, tracking unit, antenna, compass, and GPS. Quite a load. We tracked each of the seven rats that we tagged earlier in the week (more on this later). Somewhat surprisingly we finished around midnight, so Jenny and I didn't have to rely on the emergency caffeine we brought just in case: Starbucks doubleshots. Mmm. Below is Tad, the head researcher, and Devin (demonstrating a classic deer-in-the-headlights look) before we headed out.



Saturday we slept in and then headed out to Onomea Bay, just off of the 4-mile scenic drive north of Hilo for a short hike with Tad. The hike was less than a half mile and not particularly scenic, but it was pretty. I guess (I'm getting spoiled). At least I got a nifty shot of the canopy.





Sunday was a baking kind of day. We started off the day by making some pancakes that weren't actually too unsightly. Afterwards we rode up to Wai'ale Falls for an afternoon of swimming and some general frolicking (see below).





When we got back, Jenny started on a delicious green curry, while I began making some chocolate chip cookies (a shout-out to mom for the recipe). Did I mention creaming butter is exceedingly difficult with a fork? It turns out that measuring out cups, tablespoons, and teaspoons is also quite difficult without any measuring cups except for the 1.5 tablespoon scoop that came with our powdered gatorade (does anyone taste Lemon Lime?)...

The curry turned out great!



The cookies not so much...




We're doing more work with rats this week, including some more night-tracking Wednesday night. I know, I know, I'll explain what we're doing next post (hopefully). This week is also are rest week for our impending adventure: a 3-day, 40+ mile trek up to the summit of the tallest mountain in Hawaii (and an active volcano!): Mauna Loa. Dum dum dum.

1 comment:

  1. i figured you would appreciate a comment......and i just noticed the foot in the background....lol ;)

    ReplyDelete