Friday, June 25, 2010

Honolulu- Day 3 and 4: Escape

Friday, eager to escape the thousands of tourists, I went for a hike in the hills behind Honolulu. Initially I was discouraged at how hard it was to find a trai; After about an hour of walking I made it to a trailhead. The hike began with a steep section which was sweltering- just look at my attempted self-photo below. These photos never seem to work....



After a quick lunch I began my hike through a lengthy stretch of bamboo forest. It was my favorite part of the hike; when the wind picked up, I could hear the bamboo creaking- it was really eerie. It was also the first stretch of trail where I went at least an hour without running into another person.



After hiking through the bamboo forest I summited Mt. Tanatalus (all 1300 feet of it), which had a nice view of Honolulu.



Then I headed around to the next valley where I ran along a ridge and then descended to a quant little waterfall called Manoa Falls.



Saturday, after sadly watching the U.S. bow out of the world cup (damn those early goals!!!), Pasha and I headed to Sharks Cove on the North Shore of Oahu, about a two-hour bus ride away. At Sharks Cove we swam, snorkeled, and napped for a few hours, grabbed a quick dinner and then rode the bus back to Honolulu late. I also managed to grab a very stereotypical Hawaii photo of the sun setting over the Pacific:



I enjoyed my time in Honolulu, but I'm ready to escape to the much less crowded Big Island after battling crowds at Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, and the North Shore. I'm also not going to miss TheBus on Oahu; the number of places you can get on TheBus is impressive and convenient, but the timing is not. Buses never really come on time and numerous times I was left wondering things like: "Is that bus 5 minutes early or 25 minutes late?" and my personal favorite, "Wait, was that my bus? Yup." I'll be an optimist (since I am in Hawaii after all) and say that the buses provide I nice introduction to "Island Time," that is the somewhat amusing lack of punctuality surrounding just about everything in Hawaii (buses, airplanes, and store hours so far).

Next stop: Hilo

No comments:

Post a Comment