Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Honolulu- Day 1


Aloha! It turns out aloha can mean just about anything (hello, goodbye, friendly, and awesome so far). The picture above is my first sight of Hawaii; Mauna Kea is the hulking mountain (and my future work area) in the distance. I got in to Honolulu yesterday at 5 PM local time, and then jumped on TheBus (seriously, that's what it's called) to go meet my gracious host, Pasha. After dumping my stuff, we headed out to find the sketchiest local food place we could find, and we ended up at a nearby Bento Box place. Below is Pasha and her Bento. My Seafood Bento was maybe a little too fried....



This morning I headed off to Pearl Harbor where I sadly discovered that all the tickets for the USS Arizona Memorial sold out at 9 (I got there about 9:30). Instead, I toured a WWII submarine, the USS Bowfin and the USS Missouri. Below is the view of the Arizona Memorial and the USS Missouri in the distance with a (conveniently place) flag in the foreground.



Below is a terrifying view of the 16-inch guns on the Missouri. The coolest part of the ship tour was standing on the spot where World War II ended on September 2, 1945 on the upper deck.



And surprisingly my favorite part of the day was the new memorial to the sailors of the USS Oklahoma. Each of the 400 marble pillars represents the life of one sailor or marine killed when the ship capsized on December 7th, 1941. Tomorrow I'm going back super-early (6:30!) to snag a passto the USS Arizona hopefully doing a little hiking in the afternoon.



Aloha and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment